Tascam DR040X Stereo Handheld Digital Audio Recorder and USB Audio Interface
Tascam DR-40X features:
Professional Deal for live capture: line level input
- Dual Neutrik® XLR/TRS combo jacks support both mic-level and +4dBu line-level. These inputs can accept balanced microphone or line level from Mixers or the FOH console. The microphone preamp includes +48V phantom power and plenty of gain for detailed recordings with condenser microphones, as well as electret type microphones. Using the stereo built-in microphones, you can capture ambient sound of the audience while recording direct from an external console, which is ideal for capturing live performances.
Wide covering range from whispering voice to jet engine
- DR-40X allows high-quality recording with its stereo built-in condenser microphones. Every detail is captured from small whispers to loud sounds up to 125dB SPL. These built-in microphones are adjustable unidirectional microphones for recording in an X-Y pattern for tight stereo imaging, or in an A-B pattern for a more ambient recording.
- The layout of the DR-40X has been revamped to be quick and easy to work with one thumb. Operations like recording, adjusting levels, deleting bad takes and adding markers are just a button press away.
Choose your language
- Menu display of dr-40x supports 10 languages: English/ Spanish/ French/ Italian/ German/ Russian/ Chinese/ Korean/ Japanese/ Portuguese
Extended battery life
- dr-40x uses only three AA batteries and has ultra-long battery capability. When using built-in microphones, recording lasts 17.5 hours when recording with standard 2ch WAV, 44.1kHz/ 16bit format using alkaline batteries.
- Also dr-40x can be powered by a USB mobile battery as well for super long extended use.
Turning your room into a studio – in a minute.
- Connecting to a PC using USB Audio interface mode, and DR-40X becomes a tool for voiceover work, live streaming and songwriting with studio-quality audio.
- Built-in microphones work as USB microphones.
Back up your transcription work: record and play with one unit
- Writing down what you hear – Easier said than done, but it is actually easy with DR-40X. In addition to its capability to capture crisp voice recording, DR-40X can help you with its Jump back function, variable Speed function and equalizer preset for human voice.
Four-track recording mode gives you several options to record
- In addition to normal stereo channel recording and Dual Recording mode, DR-40X has “4CH Mode” that can record two different stereo feeds simultaneously. The combination of the sources are flexible; recording the built-in microphones along with a pair of external Mics such as close-up and ambient microphones, or recording the built-in Mics along with a balanced line input such as the feed from a mixer along with the sound in the room.
Safety track for unpredictable situation
- Film-makers and videographers often experience sudden audio volume spikes during filming. An actor could suddenly scream, or a documentary subject could do almost anything.
DR-40X has a Dual Recording mode that captures a copy of your take but at a lower level, as a safety track in case of sudden distortion. Also, Auto recording function can detect the sound input signal level and automatically start recording. The Pre-recording function with up to 2 seconds pre-record provides fail-safe protection.
Still safe if it is louder than you thought.
- Peak Reduction works in rehearsal mode or in record. Even if the sound or performance is louder than the sound check you’re safe. Combined with Auto level and Limiter for preventing distortion, you never have to worry.
No need to go through “take 2” all over again
- If you don’t like the last part of a phrase you just recorded with your guitar, or if you change your mind and want to rephrase narration, the “Overwrite mode” is exactly what you need. Overwrite mode allows punch-in recording from a desired point. It is destructive editing with one level of undo.
- The overdubbing function allows for Overdub Recording while playing a previously recorded file. This allows you to record other parts such as a guitar solo over a recording previously made such as at a rehearsal studio. Overdubbing creates a new file, leaving the original file unaffected, making it easy to re-record.
192 Hours. This is how long you can record CD-quality sound with single SDXC card.
- DR-40X support a SDXC card, which can record longer with larger data capacity. If you record one stereo file in 44.1kHz/ 16bit CD quality, 128GB card holds 192 hours maximum. In MP3/ 320kbps, it can record up to 896 hours. (that is 37 days!).
Recording Media: SD card (64MB to 2GB), SDHC card (4GB to 32GB), SDXC card (up to 128GB)
File System:FAT16/32, exFAT
Recording File Format
WAV / BWF
- Sampling Frequency: 44.1k / 48k / 96k Hz
- Bit-depth: 16 / 24-bit
- Sampling Frequency: 44.1k / 48k Hz
- Recording Bit-rate: 32k / 64k / 96k / 128k / 192k / 256k / 320k bps
- Playback Bit-rate: 32k to 320k bps, VBR, ID3TAG Ver. 2.4
Number of Channels: 4-channel (2 Stereo)
Playback speed control: 0.5 to 2.0 times (in 0.1 increments) * 44.1k/48kHz only
Built-in Microphone: Unidirectional, Stereo (switchable between A-B and X-Y positions)
EXT MIC / LINE IN
- Connector: XLR/TRS Combo jack (1: GND, 2: HOT, 3: COLD)
- Nominal Input Level: -19dBV (MIC) / +4dBu (LINE)
- Maximum Input Level: -3dBV (MIC) / +20dBu (LINE)
- Input Impedance: 2.2kΩ (MIC) / 10kΩ (LINE)
PHONES / LINE OUT
Connector: 1/8" (3.5mm) Stereo Mini jack (Unbalanced)
for LINE connection
- Nominal Output Level: -14dBV (10kΩ load)
- Maximum Output Level: +2dBV (10kΩ load)
- Output Impedance: 12Ω
for Headphones connection
- Maximum Output Power: 20mW + 20mW (32Ω load)
- Connector: USB Micro B-type
- Format: USB2.0 HIGH SPEED
Built-in Speaker: 0.3W, Mono
Low-cut Filter: 40 / 80 / 120Hz
Chromatic Tuner: C1 to B6, A4 = 435Hz to 445Hz (in 1Hz increments)
Effector: 6 presets (Hall 1, Hall 2, Room, Studio, Plate 1, Plate 2)
Tripod attachment screw-hole: 1/4" Tripod attachment screw-hole
Power: 3 AA Batteries, USB bus power, AC 100 to 240V (optional AC Adapter)
Power Consumption: 2.5 W (Max)
Battery Operation Time (Recording)
- Alkaline (EVOLTA): approx. 18 hours (2ch WAV, 44.1kHz, 16-bit, using Built-in Microphone, JEITA)
- Ni-MH (eneloop): approx. 16 hours (2ch WAV, 44.1kHz, 16-bit, using Built-in Microphone, JEITA)
Dimensions (W×H×D): 2.75" × 6.1" × 1.37" / 70 × 155 × 35 mm
Weight: 8.3 oz. / 213 g
- Fs 44.1kHz: 20Hz to 20kHz, +1/-3dB (EXT IN to LINE OUT, JEITA)
- Fs 48kHz: 20Hz to 22kHz, +1/-3dB (EXT IN to LINE OUT, JEITA)
- Fs 96kHz: 20Hz to 40kHz, +1/-3dB (EXT IN to LINE OUT, JEITA)
Total Harmonic Distortion: 0.05% or less (Fs 44.1k/48k/96kHz, EXT IN to LINE OUT, JEITA)
Signal-to-Noise Ratio: 92 dB or higher (Fs 44.1k/48k/96kHz, EXT IN to LINE OUT, JEITA)
- Computer: Windows PC with USB2.0 or USB3.0 port
- CPU: Dual Core, 2GHz or faster (x86)
- Memory: 2GB or more
- CPU: Power PC, iMac, G3, G4, G5 266MHz or faster
- Memory: 64MB or more
- USB: USB2.0 recommended
- Windows 10 (May 2019 Update) , Windows 8.1 , Windows 7
- macOS Catalina New , macOS Mojave , macOS High Sierra (10.13) , macOS Sierra (10.12)
- iPadOS New , iOS 13 New , iOS 12 , iOS 1